Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It Tugs At My Soul...Part II

My first visit to C’s home was memorable to say the least. It was a typical Chi-Town summer and I was coming from an interview and wanted to share the experience with C. The evening sun was still perched high above the city and children were frolicking and playing double-dutch. As I got to the front porch I noticed a couple of scoundrels breaking into a car right across the street in broad-ass daylight. Nobody batted an eye. C and her mom came out on the porch to greet me. C’s mom, an older dark skinned woman with piercing grey eyes, looked my up and down, took a long pull from her square and turned to C, “ooooweee, if I was 10 years younger” she replied. This was light-years before old thirsty broads lusting after dudes half their age became fashionable…I think I threw up in my mouth a little…I digress. After the “eye-raping” I made my way into the living room and found a safe place to sit. Out of the corner out my eye I noticed two little girls easing there way into the room, shy but intrigued, nosey but unassuming. “These are my two little angels Jasmin and Jorie”, C said and by the end of the night they had me wrapped around their fingers.
On our first official date I took C to a concert at the Park West featuring none other than the Fugees and The Roots. I was rockin’ the Karl Kani overalls and C was draped in some tight fitting jeans, heels and a waist length leather coat…we thought we was the shit! Couldn’t nobody tell us we weren’t the freshest couple up in the joint! My man Phil was a writer for a local hip hop magazine and he was able to cop us some tickets along with backstage passes. After the 1st show we made are way down a dark hallway into this little ass room were we chopped it up with Questlove and Black Thought. Me and my boys drank all the Corona’s they had and one of them even tried to bum a hit off of Black Thoughts’ “medicine” even before he had a chance to roll it up (that shit was blue!) The scene was crazy…there was some dude in the corner talking loud and shittin’ on Chi-Towns’ own Common. Talking some nonsense about how Common doesn’t represent the hometown properly. Black Thought checked duded aggressively. This was before the whole “Soulquarian” click came about with D’Angelo, De La Soul, The Roots, Common, Jazzyfatnastees, Bilal & Raphael Saadiq. Enough of the music lesson…needless to say after that night I was lookin’ like Black Jesus to C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your readers await Parts III thru ---!!